Skip to main content

Are Queer Maps Part of the LGBTQIA+ Community?



Content warning: mention of sex, genitals, and pedophilia

I’ve shared a lot of very personal things on this blog over the years, and today I’m going to share another personal piece of news: I’m intersex.

Most people think that there is a rigid binary between people who are born with vaginas and people who are born with penises, but the truth is that there are a lot of people who have genitals that just don’t fit into this binary. There are also people who don’t have the expected corresponding internal organs, hormones, and/or chromosomes that generally fit with their genitalia.

The truth is that I don’t know much about being intersex. I’m in my 30s, and I just now found out that I’m intersex. At the risk of being TMI: my genitals aren’t that different than those of a dyadic (or non-intersex), cisgender (or non-transgender) woman. At least, they never seemed like that to me.

I was an early bloomer. I started having sex as a very young teenager, when I was ignorant about what typical women’s bodies looked like, and even about what my own body looked like. I spent as little time thinking about my genitals as I possibly could. I had a cis, dyadic female partner for four years as a teenager, and neither of us realized that my body was a little different than hers.

After that, I only slept with dyadic people with penises until recently. Now, I’m dating a trans man: a man who was assigned the gender of female at birth. Immediately, I noticed how completely alien his genitals seemed in comparison to mine.

“I was born prematurely, so I think my genitals never finished developing,” I explained.

“Does that mean you’re intersex?” he asked.

I paused. I’d never once in my life entertained the notion that I was intersex. Not even when I’d read the entire 500-something pages of the novel Middlesex, which details the fictional life of an intersex person.

“I don’t know,” I said.

But I started researching, and quickly found out that yes, my genital configuration is one that is typical of intersex people.

Why do I mention all this? Because I’m proud to be intersex. Some intersex people want to distance themselves from the LGBT+ community, while others feel that they fall squarely under the LGBTQIA+ umbrella. I fit into the second category.

Even if I wasn’t intersex, I’m also a bisexual and genderfluid woman. I’ve known that I wasn’t straight since I was 12; I had my first crush on a girl when I was in fourth grade. Being part of the LGBTQIA+ community is incredibly important to me, and an integral part of who I am.

So that’s why it stings so much when people tell me that I’m not allowed to be part of the LGBTQIA+ community just because I’m also a minor-attracted person. When I tell people that I belong in the community despite being a map, I’m met with extreme vitriol, which doesn’t make sense to me.

Being attracted to minors doesn’t cancel out that I’m also attracted to men, women, and non-binary adults. It doesn’t cancel out that I identify with a gender different than the one I was assigned at birth. And it doesn’t cancel out that I’m intersex, that I have different genitals -- and likely hormones and/or chromosomes -- than the ones I was expected to have.

As a former anti-map, I understand where the sentiment that maps can’t be part of the LGBTQIA+ community comes from, even if I now vividly disagree. Maps are universally hated and assumed to be sexual predators; accepting us as part of the LGBTQIA+ community makes the community look bad in some people’s eyes.

But it’s hypocritical to say that someone who is legitimately queer can’t be part of the LGBTQIA+ community just because they’re widely seen as being a “bad person.” There are all kinds of queer people who aren’t perfect queer representation -- including queer rapists and abusers, who are far worse than anti-contact maps -- and they are all allowed to identify as being part of the community. Let LGBTQIA+ maps be part of the community, too.

Stop telling queer maps that we can’t be part of the LGBTQIA+ community just because we happen to be attracted to minors. We’re here, we’re queer, and we’re not going away anytime soon.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction               I was first introduced to the concept of maps, or “minor attracted people,” while browsing the dash of my now-defunct Tumblr account. This was probably about five years ago, back when Tumblr was still relevant, at least among millennials like me. I never interacted with any maps myself, but I started seeing warnings popping up from my social justice-oriented followers:     Maps, or so these posts informed me, were pedophiles using the Tumblr platform to prey on minors. The posts claimed that the cutesy name was a way for pedophiles to rebrand themselves and hide what they really supported. This was, supposedly, grooming minors into having sex with them, and child sexual abuse of all kinds. Another popular subject of these posts was the fact that maps were supposedly calling themselves “pedosexual,” and wanted to turn the LGBT community into the LGBTP community. I actually lost a fair number of Tumblr followers during this time for naively using the LGBTP a

When Pro-Shippers Turn on MAPs

Like many people on the internet, I enjoy writing fanfiction and participating in fandom. Besides writing fanfiction, I’m mainly a lurker. I like to follow people who create content for my fandoms, and quietly retweet their posts, gifsets, and other fandom content. There’s one problem: I’m also a paraphiliac, specifically a minor-attracted person (map).      I’m also anti-contact, meaning I am very opposed to the idea of adults having sex or romantic relationships with minors. What this all means is that while I find a few minors attractive, I’m never going to act on it. I’m non-exclusive and am mostly attracted to adults. In a perfect world, my paraphilia wouldn’t be a big deal.      Unfortunately, maps are incredibly stigmatized and stereotyped. The word “map” sends the average twitter user into a moral panic, invoking visions of pedophilic zealots who prey on and groom young children over the internet. Anyone who has had any interaction with the map community would know that this is

A Case For Rehabilitation

My older sister and I were inseparable until I found out that she was a child molester. Content warning for child sexual abuse, pedophilia, suicide, and substance abuse      My sister had been living with my brother, his wife, and their young children, often filling the role of a babysitter. One day, they’d kicked her out of the house. Apparently, she said, their personalities just didn’t mesh.      “But there’s something else, too,” my sister explained. “You’re not going to believe this. They accused me of touching Kaylie.”      Kaylie is my brother’s youngest daughter. At the time, she was three years old.      I stared.      “They said what ?” I asked, not believing what I was hearing.      “They said I touched her inappropriately,” my sister continued. “They have Kaylie on camera explaining what I supposedly did. Here, I’ll show you.”      She angled her phone towards me. I could see a video of Kaylie, tiny and adorable, matter-of-factly explaining how my sister had supposedl